But have you ever stopped to really think about the damage you’re doing and how diet can play an important role in keeping your liver healthy?
In this article, we list eight important foods that you should eat to keep a healthy liver.
1) Cabbage: Cabbage isn’t to everyones taste but if you don’t mind it, it’s well worth eating more of it as it boosts enzymes in your liver that eliminate pesky toxins.
2) Broccoli: Broccoli is perhaps more well-known as a “brain food” but it also supports your liver – just like its brassica vegetable siblings, such as cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
3) Grapefruit: One of the most bitter fruits on the planet, grapefruit is a great way to get your metabolism firing in the morning. It’s a bit of an acquired taste but if you love it, it’s time to eat more of it as grapefruit cleanses your liver and supports its abilities to flush toxins out of your system.
4) Avocado: Avocado is everywhere at the moment and we promote it a lot on Beauty and Tips – and for good reason. It’s a fruit that everyone seems to be eating, from your hipster friends to your mom and her sewing circles.
5) Olive Oil: Many of us are unsure of what oil we should be cooking with, but if you want to look after your liver, olive oil is a very good option. Olive oil shouldn’t be used excessively but – like flaxseed and hemp – it provides support for your liver by shouldering some of its duties.
6) Beets: A really colourful and vibrant vegetable, the humble beetroot supports your liver by kicking into touch nasty carcinogens that are intent on causing as much damage as possible.
7) Garlic: There are two reasons why you should eat more garlic: To ward off vampires and to support your liver. And we’re only kidding about one of those reasons. In fact, nutritionists, scientists and health experts are all in agreement that we should try to eat garlic at least once per day.
8) Coffee: All the best mornings start with coffee, so let’s start this list with it! While we all know how amazing coffee is for our energy levels and alertness, coffee also works wonders for our liver. In fact, studies have demonstrated that coffee can even protect us from liver disease.