Force Public Relations Officer, Mr Jiomoh Moshood, said this in a statement on Thursday night, hours after reports emerged that the Senator had been abducted.
In the statement entitled, ‘Re: Case of Purported Kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye Today, 26th July, 2018’, Mr Moshood said no police station or division had received any complaint or report “of the kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye from any of his family member, friend, associate or staff to indicate that the Senator has been kidnapped”.
Although the police say no formal complaint has been made, the authorities are aware of the media reports and are investigating the incident.
To aid the investigation, the police called on witnesses and family members to come forward.
The Force PRO said, “The Force has commenced investigation into the purported kidnap of Senator Dino Melaye, and wish to implore any of his family members, relatives or friends who witnessed the kidnap or have information about the purported kidnap of the Senator to report the incident at the nearest police station to assist the police in the investigation.”
Senator Melaye had been reportedly abducted by gunmen in Gwagwalada, a suburb of Abuja on Wednesday.
Senator Ben Murray-Bruce, who represents Bayelsa East, broke the news on Thursday morning via his Twitter handle.
The Senator revealed that he got the information from Melaye’s brother who said the lawmaker was kidnapped after the gunmen attacked them on their way to Kogi State.
As a result, Senator Melaye, who represents Kogi West, failed to appear at the Magistrate Court in Lokoja for the continuation of his trial over an alleged gunrunning.
His lawyer told the court that the Senator was abducted on Wednesday.
“I learned he was attacked yesterday in Gwagwalada on his way home from the (FCT High) court,” the lawyer said.
“Up till now, I have not been able to reach him. I don’t know where he is at the moment.”